Marilyn first shared with me about her fractured tail bone last year and how she experienced persistent back ache if she sits for too long. The injury has prevented her from doing most physical activities and she is looking for a more holistic and permanent solution as compared to rely on pain killers. I encouraged her to try Pilates as we have many clients with similar issues and Pilates has helped them to relieve the backaches. After doing regular Pilates sessions for almost 6 months, Marilyn shared with me recently that a stronger core and diaphragm have improved her operatic singing besides relieving the back aches! Now that’s a new benefit of Pilates that I never know of! 🙂
Sales Manager, Amrock Engineering (Far East) Pte Ltd
Practicing Pilates for 6 months, doing 2 sessions per week, usually 1 session of Pilates for Weight Loss/Body Aches and 1 session of Pilates Jumpboard.
1. How and why did you first get involved in Pilates?
I injured my spine 2 years back and was seeking a suitable low-impact exercise that could work around my physical limitations. I had to stop rollar blading which was my favorite sport. Swimming alone wasn’t sufficient to help in my weight-loss goals.
When I learnt that Candice is running a Pilates studio, I discussed with her on my suitability for Pilates. After her assurance, I signed on for trial classes and never looked back.
2. How long have you been practicing Pilates? How often do you practice Pilates?
I have been practicing Pilates since last September 2011. I try to go for twice weekly classes.
3. What was your impression about Pilates before you begin practicing it? Has it changed and how do you feel about Pilates now?
I didn’t know much about Pilates and only knew it involves working with machine. After going for a few classes, I love working with the Reformer as it takes off much of my body weight resistance and I still get a good workout!
4. Do you do other exercises or sports besides Pilates?
Rollar blade, swimming & jogging occasionally
5. Has Pilates helped you to lose weight, perform better in your sports or improve your daily activities? If yes, how much weight did you lose and what activities are improved?
In the first 3 weeks of practicing Pilates, I lost 6kg! I felt trimmer at the waist & was more aware of my body posture. My backaches were greatly reduced and this was a tremendous boost to my work productivity compared to before where I had to take frequent rest breaks.
I was also smiling a lot more, as daily pain from the injury had made me moody.
6. Can you share with us an unique experience that practicing Pilates has provided you with?
I am currently learning operatic singing which requires a lot of core strength to project my voice out. I can feel the ‘performance’ difference if I had missed my weekly dosage of Pilates classes or have been regular that week. Amazing!
7. What has your experience with Pilates Fitness been like?
Nothing short of AWESOME! I tried many weight-loss methods but couldn’t last for long as my stamina usually runs out way faster than necessary to persevere in the activity/sports. With Pilates, this is no longer a problem and I get a good workout every time!
In addition, Pilates is also able to help improve my post-injury body condition. Michelle and Candice are both awesome teachers who take note of my problems and try their best to help me improve my condition.
8. What do you find most enjoyable or memorable about practicing Pilates at Pilates Fitness?
Other than deriving all the benefits Pilates provides physically, mentally and emotionally, this is a perfect setting to work out with friends and meet new ones.
9. Would you recommend Pilates classes at Pilates Fitness to your friends? If yes, why?
Definitely. Pilates had changed my way of living, I want my friends to experience it too!